CATALOGUE - SO-HITSU GOJUSAN TSUGI
SO-HITSU GOJUSAN TSUGI
The 53 Stations of the Tokaido by two brushes (i.e. Hiroshige and Kunisada).
Publisher, Maruya Kishiro ; Seal, Kochoro Toyokuni (Kunisada) ; Engraver, Yokogawa Take. Plates sealed : Tiger, 7, 8 , 12 (1854). Hare, 4 , 8 (1855). Snake, 4 (1857). Published in 1857.
1. Nihon-bashi Boy playing with toy.
2. Shinagawa Joro at her toilet.
3. Kawasaki Straw-braid curio maker.
4. Kanagawa Spearman.
5. Hodogaya Ise Mairi - boy pilgrim.
6. Totsuka Hotel maidservant.
7. Fujisawa Terute-hime leading her husband Oguri to Kumano Spring, to cure poisoning by robbers.
8. Hiratsuka Hotel maidservant.
9. Oiso Soga-no Juro and Toragozen (geisha),"Soga Brothers' Vendetta," time of Yoritomo.
10. Odawara Yumoto hot springs.
11. Hakone Crippled Katsugoro and his wife Hatsuhana searching for their enemy. (Ashikaga period.)
12. Mishima Mishima no-o-sen (a female brave).
13. Numazu Igagoye - Jubei and father Heisaku.
14. Hara Shirozake (sweet white sake) seller.
15. Yoshiwara Saigyo Hoshi. Priest of period of Yoritomo.
16. Kambara Tourist and inn maidservant.
17. Yui Miyagino and Shinobu taught fencing by the famous master Yiu to avenge their father's death.
18. Okitsu Amma.
19. Yejiri Hagoromo.
20. Fuchu Picking tea-leaves.
21. Mariko Dumpling seller.
22. Okabe Okabe no Rokuyata - one of Yoshitsune's braves.
23. Fujiyeda Crossing the River Oi.
24. Shimada Traveller.
25. Kanaya "Asagao Nikki" - Asagao in search of her lover.
26. Nissaka Umegaye begging to help her lover, Kagesuye, of Yoritomo's army.
27. Kakegawa Country children.
28. Fukuroi Pilgrims.
29. Mitsuke Tenryugawa Ferry.
30. Hamamatsu Riding.
31. Maisaka Blind minstrel woman.
32. Arai Fortune-teller.
33. Shirasuka Jiraiya - robber-chief.
34. Futakawa Ghost.
35. Yoshida Oran-no-kata - "immoral lady."
36. Goyu Yamamoto Kansuke and Naoye Yamashiro-no Kami (counsellors of war of 350 years ago.)
37. Akasaka Manzai, after Itcho.
38. Fujikawa Tourist.
39. Okazaki Jorurihime and Ushiwaka trysting, secretly.
40. Chiriu Narihira travelling to the East.
41. Narumi Drama. Tanyemon.
42. Miya Kagekiyo, Yoritomo's assassin.
43. Kuwana Otohime (Princess of the Dragon Palace) and Urashima.
44. Yokkaichi Drama ; Norikyo.
45. Ishiyakushi Benkei ordered by Yoritomo to behead Yoshitsune's wife, slew his daughter instead - "Horikawa Youchi."
46. Shono Travellers.
47. Kameyama Akahori Midzuyemon, the villain of a vendetta story.
48. Seki Semi-maru (blind biwa-player).
49. Sakanoshita Akogi-no Heiji and Jirozo, from the play Akogi ga ura.
50. Tsuchiyama Gompachi escaping from the prison kago.
51. Minakuchi Nunobiki, from the play Seisuiki.
52. Ishibe Ohan (15 years) and Choyemon (over 40) loved and died together.
53. Kusatsu Sasaki and Tanimura-characters in a play.
54. Otsu Kuronushi.
55. Kyoto Muromachi Shogun.